Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blurry text in game

Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #1

set it at 1440x900 and blurry as hell for some reason. Quite a chore to read. Any ideas why its like this?

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #2

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by RabidSquirrel. Reason: new pictures

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #3

• ADukes
  • ( Moderator )
  • SOW General
Is 1440x900 the native resolution of your monitor?

Can you post an unscaled image?

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #4

Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by RabidSquirrel.

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #5

Yes that's my native res. Ok sorry about the scaled one

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #6

• Jim
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team
What OS and what are the specs on your video card. We are starting from the basics as we have not seen anything like this in testing.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #7

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

ATI Radeon 4830 Series- 1GB memory

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200

3GB RAM

I saw that a lot of people fixed their problems just by re-downloading and re-installing the demo, but no results for me. . . the text is readable just it's very hard. The only places where I can't make a thing out are: the MAP LEGEND, ORDER OF BATTLE, COURIER MENU, and the TOOL TIPS when you float over the buttons in-game. It looks like some weird made up alien language!

Ahhhhh well. . .
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by RabidSquirrel.

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #8

• ADukes
  • ( Moderator )
  • SOW General
Do you have the latest Catalyst drivers installed?

Something you could try is to disable AntiAliasing and Anisotropy. Open the SOWGB.ini file (Scourge of War - Gettysburg\Work\) and change AntiA=2 / Anso=4 to AntiA=0 / Anso=0.

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 7 months ago #9

Tried it after disabling AA and Anisotropy, and no results, still blurry.

Driver Packaging Version 8.703-100210a-095749E-Asus
Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
2D Driver Version 6.14.10.7050
2D Driver File Path System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/{DAD32718-4DD9-46DB-B9F3-8C293564B999}/0000
Direct3D Version 6.14.10.0728
OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9555
Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2010.0210.1730.31317

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 6 months ago #10

• Jim
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team
What version of DirectX does your system have? The game needs DX9.0c or higher. The needed files ship with the game, but there is an additional issue here.

Also, are you running in full screen mode?

This is a bit of a long shot, but have you tried some other screen resolutions? This is not an issue we have seen before.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 6 months ago #11

Ok, turns out the problem is some kind of confliction the game has with Catalyst Control. I have been tweaking this and that on the game and on the CCC, and I finally landed on the issue. If I uncheck the "Use application settings" box in the Anisotropic Filtering section of CCC, the text is razor sharp after that!!

It's always something simple isn't it? What a relief!

ISSUE RESOLVED!!
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by RabidSquirrel.

Re:Blurry text in game 4 years, 6 months ago #12

• Jim
  • ( Moderator )
  • NSD Design Lead
  • NSD Dev Team

Now go burn some black powder.

-Jim

Re: Blurry text in game 2 years, 5 months ago #13

• Paddy
  • ( User )
  • Cannon Fodder
Hi guys, I have implemented everything above, but although there is a big improvement with a lot of the text, some is still blurry. Noticeably the text at the top left of the screen and also when mousing over the command icons at the bottom right.

Re: Blurry text in game 2 years, 5 months ago #14

• norb
  • ( Admin )
  • NSD Dev
  • There is a time for everything
Can you provide a screenshot?
NSD Programmer/Producer
"Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamaliel 40 A.D.

Re: Blurry text in game 1 year, 10 months ago #15

When I start SOWGB all menus and text are crystal clear until I enter a scenario, then the text on orders and the bottom of screen graphics boxes and text is blurred beyond recognition. (.ini AntiA = 0, Anso = 0).

When I play with the options in ATI Catalyst Control Center nothing changes in the game.

When I edit the SOWG.ini file and set AntiA and Anso to any value other than 0, all the game menu text is now blurred beyond recognition but once I enter a scenario the game orders and bottom of screen graphics boxes and text are crystal clear.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 card W/ 1GB VRAM.

Prior to install of the 1.5 version all the screens for menus and in game orders and graphics were perfect text clarity.

Re:Blurry text in game 1 year, 10 months ago #16

• RebBugler
  • ( User )
  • NSD Designer
RabidSquirrel wrote:
Ok, turns out the problem is some kind of confliction the game has with Catalyst Control. I have been tweaking this and that on the game and on the CCC, and I finally landed on the issue. If I uncheck the "Use application settings" box in the Anisotropic Filtering section of CCC, the text is razor sharp after that!!

It's always something simple isn't it? What a relief!

ISSUE RESOLVED!!

Four posts up, I'm assuming you didn't see this, otherwise, please excuse.
In rememberance: John "2nd Texas" Bonin (1977 - 2012)

Re:Blurry text in game 1 year, 10 months ago #17

Yes, I had seen the other posts and have tried unchecking the "use application settings" box in the ATI CCC. On my system, it did not effect any change at all. No noticeable change of any kind.

Will keep tweaking the CCC and see if get positive results; will report back to the board if successfull. Meanwhile, if anything comes to mind other than CCC mods that seem to address the issue please let me know.

Can edit the SOWGB.ini before starting SOWGB to the values where the user screens are readable, change settings or identify a scenario, exit the game, re-edit SOWGB.ini to the value where the orders and graphics box are legible, restart the game and enter the identified scenario.

It is workable and usable, just annoying.

Re:Blurry text in game 1 year, 10 months ago #18

Followup post: with these settings on the SOWG.ini

[Initialization]
Full Screen=1
Screen Res=7
AntiA=8
Anso=8

And the CCC set to allow the software to manage things instead of the CCC,

When the game opens get blurry menus and crisp scenario text. If I return to the menus, the menu text is now clear and crisp. If I go back to the scenario, that text is still crisp and clear too.

Which is what some of the other posters had experienced.

Thanks Reb Bugler for the reply.

Great game!
  • Page:
Moderators: Marching Thru Georgia
Time to create page: 1.48 seconds